Thursday, September 3, 2015

Growth Mindset #1

I Can't Do That...Yet!
Teaching Kids To Have A Growth Mindset

@joe_edtech

I have a friend and colleague who gets very upset when he hears adults say with some merriment, "Oh, I'm just not good at math!" His argument goes a little something like this: You would never hear an adult proclaim that they can't read because letters just aren't their thing, but it is somehow ok to say that you aren't good at math because numbers aren't your thing.

I actually get that. It harkens back to one of the most dangerous concepts every embraced in education, that people are born with a certain kind of ability or they aren't, and that's all there is to it. Well, if that is the case, I'm not really sure why we spend this much time in public schools.

As adults, we certainly select jobs, hobbies and activities based on attitudes and aptitudes, but I think it is anti-intellectual and dangerous, especially for young people, to accept that kind of thinking. I think it comes from a way of thinking that suggests that making mistakes or experimenting with mental concepts is a sign of weakness, instead of a sign of real strength. If I thought like this, I would have to accept that because I cannot do calculus right now, I can never do it - I'll never be a success in that field.

By the time they get to high school, too many of our students have accepted that they aren't good at math, or science, or school in general. My daughter is an 8th grader who sometimes falls into that trap with school, but never so when it comes to extra-curricular activities she is interested in. She's in color guard. That means she spins flags, sabres, and rifles while dancing - ok, that may not be everyone's wheelhouse. But, when she tries a new toss with her rifle (she's currently working on something called a quad) she doesn't expect to get it right away. She does, however, expect that with study and practice, she will get better - and she will ultimately gain mastery. As an educator, I find that very instructive.

Carol Dweck, psychologist from Stanford University, would suggest that when she practices color guard, my daughter is employing "The Growth Mindset," which that suggests that humans can set and achieve personal goals, and that what is ultimately important is that we believe we can get better at something. We believe that we can grow, and we accept mistakes as necessary growing pains along the way.

Think about the kids you know. When it comes to extra-curriculars, sports, activities, and hobbies, do they display a "Growth Mindset?" How about in Math? Science? English? Using Technology (no - it is not ok to simply say, I'm sorry, I'm not good at technology)?

How about you? When you try something new, what is most important at the beginning of the activity, immediate success or evidence of growth? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Growth Mindset" is an idea worth developing. Next week I'll share some ideas for discussing this topic with your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment