Thursday, September 4, 2014

Image Search in Google

photo credit: Skiwalker79 via photopin cc
Searching For God's Eye With Google Chrome

@joe_edtech

The other night, my daughter and I were watching our favorite TV show, "The Big Bang Theory," and she asked about a picture that hangs on the wall of the set. I said I was pretty sure it was the image of a nebula. I couldn't remember the name of it, but maybe we could search for the image.

Google Search App - Search
by taking a picture

She grabbed her iPad and started typing "nebula" into Google, and I said, "No, I mean, let's actually search the image." I paused the DVR, pulled up the Google App on my iPhone, and snapped a picture of the image on TV. In a few seconds, we had thousands of results and I remembered that it is the "God's Eye Nebula."

You don't have to have an iPhone to search a digital image. Any device with Google Chrome installed will do. Simply click and drag any digital image into a Google Search window and wait for the results.

My daughter isn't the only one surprised by the ability to search with digital photos. When I do Digital Citizenship presentations to parent groups, I always mention this capability and watch the eyes of the Moms and Dads in the room get really wide. It is a wonderful search tool with powerful implications for the classroom. But it is also affords us another opportunity to remind our students - and our own kids - to be smart and safe with the digital cameras they keep in their pockets.
Dragging a digital image into a Google Search window.
-------------------------
Got any other Advanced Search Tips? Share them in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment